US initiates ‘very serious’ investigation against China

Washington, April 28:

The US is carrying out a “very serious” investigation against China, President Donald Trump has said, indicating that his administration is looking at a bigger compensation from Beijing than the $ 140 billion being sought by Germany over the coronavirus pandemic.

The deadly contagion, which originated in China in mid-November, has so far killed more than two lakh people and infected over three million globally. The largest number of them are in the US: more than 56,000 deaths and over one million infections.

Leaders of the US, the UK and Germany increasingly believe that the unfortunate deaths of so many people and destruction of the global economy could have been avoided, if China had shown transparency and shared the information about the virus in its early phases.

Many countries have started talking about claiming compensation from China.

Trump, during the Rose Garden press conference on Monday, was asked about Germany planning to send a bill to China for Euro 130 billion ($ 140 billion) for the damages. Would your administration look at doing the same? Well, we can do something much easier than that. We have ways of doing things a lot easier than that, the President replied.

We haven’t determined the final amount yet, but “it is very substantial”, Trump said. Trump said there are “a lot of ways” one can hold China accountable for the spread of the virus. We’re doing very serious investigations, as you probably know. We are not happy with China, he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *