New Delhi, Feb 19:
India and China have completed disengagement on the north and south banks of Pangong Tso in eastern Ladakh, and the 10th round of Corps Commander talks as agreed will be held will be held at Moldo on the Chinese side of LAC tomorrow to discuss pull back from other friction areas, a defence official said today.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh had announced in the Parliament that the 10th round of talks were to be held within the 48 hours of disengagement completing on the North and South banks of Pangong Tso. An agreement was reached between India and China as per which Chinese troops were to relocate to the east of Finger 8 and the Indian Army will be based at Dhan Singh Thapa post close to Finger 4 on the north bank of the lake.
Indian Army had confirmed that both sides had moved back their armoured vehicles which were at some places as close as 50 meters from each other. Also, the two sides have brought down the fortifications and defences made during the stand-off duration.
The focus of the next round of talks is expected to be on complete disengagement from the friction points at Gogra and Hot Springs. Some pull back has already taken place at Patrolling Points (PP) 15 and 17A in Gogra and Hot Springs, and the process stopped after the developments on the south bank of Pangong Tso in end August.
The standoff in the Eastern Ladakh started in the first week of May month last year from Finger 4 as the Chinese and Indian troops had clashed. Subsequently, it had spread to several standoff points along the LAC in the North and South banks of the Pangong Tso.
We lost 4, says China
Four Chinese soldiers were killed in the fierce clash with the Indian Army in the Galwan Valley in eastern Ladakh in June last year, the People”s Liberation Army (PLA) officially acknowledged for the first time on Friday.
Five Chinese frontier officers and soldiers stationed in the Karakoram Mountains have been recognised by the Central Military Commission of China (CMC) for their sacrifice in the border confrontation with India, which occurred in the Galwan Valley in June 2020, the PLA Daily, the official newspaper of the Chinese military reported today.