Mumbai stun Chennaiyin in ISL

Mumbai stun Chennaiyin in ISL

Spread the love


Chennai,  Nov 4:

Mumbai  City FC rode on Modou Sougou’s 20th minute strike to register a shock  1-0 win over defending champions Chennaiyin FC in an Indian Super League  match here Saturday.

While it was Mumbai’s third win in the last four games, Chennaiyin  slumped to a fifth defeat in six games this season to continue a  surprisingly barren run. John Gregory’s men languish at the bottom of  the table with a solitary point from a drawn game against Delhi Dynamos.

The all-important goal came against the run of play when Rafael  Bastos sent a through ball to Modou Sougou. The Senegalese player got  inside the box and shot with his left foot but Chennaiyin goalie  Karanjit Singh made a good stop but he got a second chance and didn’t  miss this time. He slotted the ball past the goalkeeper to the far  corner to make sure that Mumbai’s first shot was on target.

Chennaiyin had made a good start to the game and they were spurred  into action by the Sougou strike but their attempts to level the score  didn’t materialise. They kept attacking and putting in the crosses but a  goal continued to elude them. The Mumbai defence held firm under  sustained pressure as Andrea Orlandi was in the thick of things.

Mumbai City goalkeeper Amrinder Singh kept the CFC strikers at bay  with some crucial saves including one when Isaac Vanmalsawma took a  corner with Orlandi waiting to pounce on the ball.

In the 41st minute, Orlandi had a chance as he got past a few  defenders and headed inside the box and attempted to get past Subhasish  Bose. Orlandi was down and appealed for a penalty, which was turned down  by the referee.

In the second half, the home side played with great resolve but the  Mumbai City FC defence held firm under pressure to secure three  important points.

As Chennaiyin pressed for the equaliser, Nelson was in the thick of  action, pushing forward in the 70th minute but Anirudh Thapa shot wide. A  minute later, he put Germanpreet Singh through but the shot was blocked  by the Mumbai custodian.

In the 57th minute, Mumbai had an opportunity to double the lead.  Arnold Issoko sent a lovely ball through to Sougou but his attempt was  foiled by Eli              Sabia.

Gregory brought on Jeje Lalpheklua late in the second half in the  hope of bringing some pep into the attack but the Mumbai defenders were  steadfast in their job of holding off any rival attacks.

The Mumbai team has moved up to fifth spot with this win, which should make the coach Jorge Costa happy.

Prem Trinitymirror

leave a comment